2 New Mass Effect Andromeda Images Have Been Released
The 2 images are of Tempest and an Asari character Peebee.
The Tempest is the replacement ship to The Normandy which you may have seen in previous Mass Effect titles. Here’s more details of what we know about The Tempest In Mass Effect Andromeda:
- Players will be able to seamlessly travel between the locations of the ship without load screens.
- The bridge is the important command center where you will mostly handle navigation. Rather than choose from a galaxy map, you will look at the stars ahead of you while on the bridge to select your destinations. The pilot is a Salarian.
- The galley is an atrium-like area where Ryder can modify skills.
- The garage houses the Nomad, which is your land roving vehicle.
- Your personal space is called the Pathfinder’s quarters. Players will have some control over decor as the game progresses such as mementos and souvenirs.
- The Tempest is a scouting ship, and as such, reflects a sleeker look than the Normandy had.
- What you see from the windows of the ship will reflect your location in space will change as you travel the galaxy. If you are approaching a planet, you will be able to see that planet from the windows.
- Selecting a planet to explore will have minimal loading. Navigating, landing and exploring via the Nomad will all happen much more seamlessly than in past games.
- Players will not be able to manually fly the Tempest.
- Characters will continue to be found aboard the ship in their own areas but they will move about in that general area and will do different things. It will have more activity and less static, predictable movements.
Peebee is 1 of 2 companions she is an Asari who split off from her Ark to adventure on her own, and you will first need to meet her in a mission for her to join you. PeeBee has a sense for adventure and interest in alien technology.
Creative Director Mac Walter has provided the following information regarding her:
She gets straight to the point, however, and doesn’t really care about social etiquette.
“Her mind goes quickly as does her mouth,” “It’s hard keeping up with her.” Unlike Liara from the original trilogy, PeeBee is “very bubbly”.
“PeeBee will buck the norm at any given time. She’s not about rules or culture or anything like that. She’s not even about teams or teamwork,” explained Walter. She’s in for the ride though, because she sees a leader in Ryder. “Her role in this is helping you find out more about this alien technology,” Walter pointed out.
For BioWare, the goal was to make the new team feel fresh, and the developer even axed a character the game initially had because it felt like a mix of old favourites.
“Sometimes writers focus on the quirks or specific nuances of the character [thinking] that’s what’s going to make this character interesting.
“Honestly, it’s a combination of a whole bunch of things, and what I say is rather than trying to make a really unique or memorable character through your writing, take a character who’s relatable and put them in a really unique situation and see how they react,” Walter said about the studio’s approach.
“That’s actually how I think you get the most interesting character development happening.”
Mass Effect: Andromeda is out in the spring on PC, PS4, and Xbox One.